1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube`s new Partner program policy - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EshanMistry73, Apr 7, 2017.

1. So for those of you who are unaware, YouTube released their new partner program policy yesterday.

Starting yesterday, the YouTube partner program will no longer be serving adverts on channels that have under 10,000 lifetime views.

Once channels have reached the 10,000 lifetime view threshold, you can apply for the YouTube partnership program again. You can monitor the status of your application in your creator studio under the monetization tab!

If your channel currently has under 10,000 lifetime views, your earnings up until yesterday will be unaffected.

You can read the full details on YouTubes official creator blog here.

What do you guys think about this new change?

2. i kinda agree with the change in a way.
    It will make people focus on their production value and take the opportunity to progress and develop their channel instead of looking how many cents they have earned that day.

3. Very true! It'll also combat any fraud/spam channels from being able to monetize instantly.

4. I think YouTube wasn't strict enough. Personally I would've been a tad more aggressive, and impose the following restrictions instead:

• At least 5,000 views per month (Not 10,000 views total.)
    • Roughly 500 subscribers or more
    • Active user engagement (Likes, comments, shares, etc.)
    • Content meets YouTube community guidelines
    That way, only YouTubers that have proven their ability to cultivate an authentic following, without relying on sub-4-sub activities or other artificial growth mechanisms, can monetize their content and make a living off of it.

Odds are if you're below 5,000 views a month, and have less than 500 subscribers, and don't have much user engagement, you're not getting much at all anyway, so the impact of these new restrictions would be minimal at most.

5. you have a good point Dan, and we may well see that happen in the future.

WarriorDan likes this.
  6. I do agree with the way YouTube is trying to change things up, but as you know life is not perfect, and is impossible to find the perfect median.

Personally I strongly approve such change, youtubers especially new ones, should be thinking about creating entertaining content NOT how much money they can, should, or will make. If you focus on money aspect, you will show that in your video through your attitude and that strongly detracts from viewer's experience. Personally i quit watching a couple of youtubers who shifted from making the funniest and most interesting content, to more money-focused videos.

Additionally, not paying early means those accounts created solely with purpose of "stealing" income from others, will not be able to benefit. There are millions of duplicate accounts that copy and reupload popular youtubers' videos simply to grab some of the income. Although 10k isn't enough to prevent much of this.

And to be honest, how much can you really make at 10k views? literally nothing lol. Those couple of bucks you would make otherwise, means nothing. Growing an audience that will actually watch and support you, is much better in the long run!

7. If I have about 15,000 views in private/unlisted videos, will this affect me?

~Astro

8. If they're private, I don't think so, as I don't think YouTube takes your own views of your videos into consideration. As for unlisted videos in YouTube's eyes, I believe they would be treated the same as a public video.

9. Ok, thanks! :D

~Astro